Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A lonesome TJ day's record

Had mostly vegetables for lunch today. Food in the canteen is as usual, pretty atrocious but surprisingly the vege was fine. A good thing there was good company to make the food more appetizing.

The lunch and afterward stroll (Chinese practise strolling after meals) with Syna is indeed fascinating. He is the most polite and easygoing gentleman I think I ever came across and his forthcoming and frank style I know will leave me with lasting impressions always. Being initially from Beijing, he makes refreshing perspectives; since like me, he was able to relate from an outsider point of view how different living and working in TJ is while drawing comparisons from our native lands. He is married (3 years since) and that makes conversation all the more lighter, leaving flippancy totally aside. He is one of those people whom you know you can drop all pretenses and just chat freely with also because he seems completely contented and at peace with whatever he is doing and whatever he is not. This sort of people makes you most believe there are more ways to live life than a glamor seeking one, and that a life forever humble can be worth living. His only hope he mentions, where work is concerned, is that our manager comes by more often so that they can close the distance they often experience between their working booth in TJ and their management booth in SG. Maybe I can help relay his feedback.

Oh...before I forget. I need to record the warmness CCH delivered over the airwaves yesterday. My first text reminder to him started an sms tirade that is most heart warming (at least to me):

"Hey Boss, pls keep to yourself that I am in China k...Thanks!"

Sure no prob since I haven't told anyone. Bring me a sourvenir though! And what secrecy are you doing up at Tianjin?

"Haha...I'll bring you your sourvneir since I divulged I'm overseas. Now you know my reason for going incognito? Kidding..."

I known you long enough to know that's really you. The weather is still quite cold in Tianjin, or are you at another city?

"And I've known you long enough to know you the sort to ask souvenirs from someone who has just lost her wallet and is
freezingly lonely in TJ :)"


Now I will ask for a bigger souvenir! Haha...I thought you were travelling with your boyfriend. So you mean you are on a
personal exploration expedition? You better come home, before you run out of cash to call a taxi to the airport.


"For that kindness, you will get your bigger souvenir! Smart move! Haha...no worries for the cash cos insurance's got tt. You
better fret about your phonebill while I; my loneliness..."


No need to worry about my phonebill. It's the first day of the lunar month, you can do some star-gazing! And think about
warmer memories of our past thailand trip. Do you have your CD player? You can listen to my fav. album (while at it)!


"I wish nature's kinder as to rest the mist for stars and I don't have a CD player, only an MP3 that's not tough enough to
weather the cold. NEVER trust Creative! So I will play memories as you say. How about you? Finished your codes?"


No. I have to 8 deadlines to meet this week, plus my FYP; this is my cyclic busy phase. I only hope my magic works this
time. I've been to Tianjin twice myself, quite fun, roads with shops on both sides... I could share my experience with you.


"You must have been at the more bustling end of Tianjin. Share your memories with me next time then! And hope your magic is not as bleak as my wish for stars. I am back at the hotel, gonna defrost in a warm shower. Nite!

Yeah, I hope my magic will work. Drink some hot tea while you look out to the window tonight, the stars will be great!
Goodnight!

"Am looking! Think I do see a small star in the distance, your magic'll work!"


His words warmed this lonesome sould stuck in Tianjin.

Oh, there is something quite magical I need to share! Yesterday was the 2nd day of the 2nd Lunar month and according to folks' say in China, cutting your hair yesterday was supposed to bring goodness for the year (that explains the fireworks and firecrackers sounds I heard on the entire way home from dinner last night). And guess what? I'd borrowed a scissors from Syna and cut my fringe (cos it was growing quite wayward) that very afternoon before I left work!

Yes; in case this baffles you, when you are lonesome and all alone away from home, every little happiness counts.