Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Life interrupted

Felt the silent tremor this afternoon. The movement of the ground. Ripple effect of Sumatra's 'quake. Actually I missed the first wave and only "caught" the second wave that came in an hour after P's sms of the initial. Else, I would've reacted what my colleagues had, rush down and out of the building. Or maybe not, given my previous experience.

Fingers crossed, I can only imagine the scale of the richter this quake belted; that a distant neighbour should feel the wobble, and the plausible injury to lives and livelihoods. These are lives already in exguity, and austerity of their situations exacerbates with each calamity. My mind reels with debate on the authenticity behind God's love for Mankind, a natural question that seem to come to me each time a cataclysmic event like this occurs.

I recall the first time I felt such vibrations which; I wasn't aware then, are really remnant tremors of a huge earthquake in the region. It was at 12am plus and when I became certain that it was physical vibration, my fear ensured I jumped the gun to rouse the entire family awake to go to ground one, thinking the flat was coming down (I was later told running was a stupid thing to do even if the building were indeed collapsing).

My point is. Fear is real. And real fear jepodizes logic and immobilises intelligence. It turns one into a foolhardy moron driven only by instant instincts. And in exigent situations, one best stay calm or pray their instincts are veracious.

Clearing up my thoughts and impelling attention away from dreadful events that Human's are too powerless against, I texted JM something sweet and replied P; the two anthropoids on Earth I devote to most, above and beyond explanations of natural causations or even Gaea's wrath, before tarrying on my way.


Gaea: Goddess of Earth, in Greek mythology