Friday, February 16, 2007

Celebrating CNY with Work

There is always a pang associated with CNY for me. Celebratory moods for the occasion belong to a thing of the too-distant past now; maybe before Dad and Mum became irreconcilable, maybe before jadedness about meeting relatives and hearing them ask the same questions over and over took over, maybe before Rabbit-brand candies and Cadbury's became indulgences that I now can ill-afford, perhaps before sweet Granny transformed into bitter Grumpy or maybe above all, before I became too conscious of others' perceptions on my life and its contents.

Rabbits! 're on Wiki: professionally coined "White Rabbit Brand Creamy candies": oh i reali miss em!

There are many things I miss about the old CNYs actually.
I'd like to contest now, even the hassle of taking and changing buses to pay annual homage to Aunt Rich and boredom of waiting for adults to conclude their social games. Oh what'd I give to get another chance to eat Grandma's CNY-spread leftovers (she usually anticipates too many guests) or just sample Mum's Chuyi vermicelli? But I can't since Mum has turned to returning home to avoid Dad's relations. How bad more can things go?

This is probably the 3rd consecutive year that me, P & J have to resort to "shopping" at half-shut malls or spending every ang pow (if we even get any this year) cent on movie tics. And we'll not consider asking Dad to join us for the big screens, since having him around will just emphasize Mum's absence.

Let me try to recall the last CNY eve. Reunion dinner feast was at Granny's, with distant relations from Taiwan playing guests if I remember correct... I turned up late cos me and P were shopping (rather, scrambling last minute at Chinatown (the MRT we hopped on back was monopolized by foreigners who didn't have reunions to make, we felt like tourists at homeland!)...or was that the year before? Hell, I distinctly remember however, post-dinner activity; the movie session with Eve and the guys, Changhao and Sun were there too. Jiaman was still motorbiking then so I hitched a ride back home from Sun. I wonder what activity this year's eve will spell.
Whatever the least, there still is my boy...

Talking about work, I've decide to take on the role of a devoted employee this year. I am probably the only "dedicated" CTS employee returning to work on all of the CNY days to carry out email rituals when the rest of the world pays annual tribute to tradition and kindred bonds.

I hope at least my friends'll wanna hang out. Then again, I just wish this CNY slips by fast enough!