Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Storm on the 11th Hour

Weather forecast for the second half of 20-Feb-07 had been 'Cloudy overcast with thunderstorm detected islandwide in the late evening'. I had missed accounting to my Boss for my urgent leave off work and needed to make a trip back to to carry out email ritual as was committed.

Perhaps I should've prayed to God for fair weather before heading out but I forgot. Whatever it was, Poseidon certainly saw it as a golden opportunity to kick up a storm at work.

He did, since the effects wouldn't rain on him. It was with sheer dexterity that I managed to steer and still navigate. My radar would signal distress to those who would bother picking up waves. No one did, not even my guy at the lighthouse. It was a public holiday but I had to return to work, this sure added impetus to the cummulo-nimbus clouds above and the drizzle turned into a downpour.

I was hoping the lighthouse's would deliver a soothing voice on time through the buzzer as companion for my lonesome ride home as well as for sweet relief and remedy to the raging emotions the bumpy ride at work today had stirred up in me. He didn't (actually he did, I missed the first call). Instead, he chose to be driving home after a fun gathering at the eleventh hour (the consistant hour I seek remedies) and in the process, miss all my call returns. Worse, it seemed he hadn't even anticipated my call-backs nor come up with rain-checks or measures to allay any negative emotions that I could be harboring due to having to work on a declared rest-day.

If I were to act strongly on this, he'll read it as my not paying heed to the series of strong warnings he'd already dished out the many previous yester-evenings (regarding his particular distaste for disagreements amounting to arguments). But I can't rationalize how this usually responsible chap (who claims he loves me) couldn't even be bothered to ring me up most of the day to say hello and now, couldn't see calling me at our allocated timing as important as driving home.

At this thought, Poseidon joined powers with Zeus and lightning flashed out overhead. I tapped a morse code (to his mobile) "You better have good reasons" - it decoded.


The thunderstorm unleashed with full throttle.

I finally got him on the speaker half an hour from the usual time and I deteced from first hello, his iritation that I was at it again; violating his "no-trash" rule. I know he got my message. I also know I should detour while I still can (and cut the reproach short) to avoid contesting his low and inelastic limit of tolerence. He knows I know and I know he knows I know. But I stubbornly chose to steer head on against the lashing waves and hence demanded his "navigation advice" (reasons).


I was unreasonable mostly throughout as we "covered" topics on my quarrelsome nature, his peace-loving nature, the 11pm-rule time check (he wanted to ruin the significance of the rule which he knows is what I seek, by threatening to set adherence alarms to the hour), the no-storm-rule as well as a bit on equality-of-genders at peddling relationships (a must-do) before I finally touched on my bad day at sea (work).

After learning the cause of the maelstrom (because his girl had had a bad day at work), he steered the course to the conclusive chapter; his ever-ready-ear for his lady's bad days. I relented and the thunderstorm receded to a gentle mizzle. He then threw in a bonus chapter; I'll take you boating down SG river. Smart guy.

The drizzle subsided with Apollo triumphing over Poseidon and Zeus and it was fair skies once again :)